It’s no secret that our environment and the products we use are full of toxins. In today’s world, it’s more important than ever to take actionable steps to limit our exposure and reduce our body’s toxic load. That’s why Dr. V has created this functional medicine guide to help people living in Del Mar make informed decisions about what they put in and on their bodies.
Dr. V’s top 4 toxin-free swaps.
Candles can be a great way to relax and reset the mind. The flickering of the flame and gentle smells of natural scents can help reduce stress levels at the end of a busy day. However, it is important to be mindful of what goes into making your candle of choice. When shopping for candles in Del Mar, pay attention to the manufacturer and ingredients.
• Use natural, unscented beeswax candles when possible – these are free from added chemicals and provide a cleaner burn for a more pleasant scent.
• Avoid paraffin candles as they contain numerous toxins that can be harmful to your health and the environment.
• If you prefer scented candles, opt for soy or vegetable wax varieties, as these contain fewer toxins than traditional paraffin wax.
• Be sure to read the labels carefully and check that any scent is made from naturally derived essential oils rather than synthetic fragrances.
2. Cleaning Products
Trade out your conventional commercial cleaning products with plant-based cleaners that don’t contain harsh chemicals or synthetic fragrances that are safe to use around kids and pets, making them ideal for busy households. It’s time to live in a toxin-free Del Mar home.
• Opt for cleaning products that are natural and free of synthetic chemicals.
• Avoid aerosol sprays and opt for pump-action bottles that release fewer toxins into the atmosphere.
• Look out for certifications such as ‘EcoCert’ or ‘USDA Organic’ to determine whether a product is truly natural and safe.
• Check the products’ labels to ensure they don’t contain any toxic ingredients such as bleach, ammonia, or formaldehyde.
3. Beauty Products
Switch from regular beauty products like foundation, lotion, and lipstick containing petroleum and formaldehyde to natural alternatives with ingredients like shea butter and almond oil.
• Avoid beauty products that contain hormone-disrupting chemicals such as parabens, phthalates, and titanium dioxide.
• Opt for natural products that are free from synthetic chemicals and have ethical production processes.
• Research brands thoroughly to ensure their products don’t include ingredients banned in Europe, such as titanium dioxide.
• Look for certified organic products that contain natural ingredients such as essential oils, plant extracts, and botanical oils.
• Research brands to ensure their production processes are ethical, and their packaging is recyclable and sustainable.
4. Laundry Products
Make your laundry routine more sustainable with natural, eco-friendly products! Forget about harsh chemicals and opt for brands that are committed to ethical manufacturing processes. Switch to hypoallergenic detergents, fabric softeners, and cleaning items without toxins or irritants.
- Detergent: Look for brands prioritizing ethical manufacturing processes and using natural, plant-based ingredients.
- Fabric Softeners: Replace your traditional fabric softeners with wool dryer balls that are free from toxins like artificial fragrances and dyes found in regular softeners. Not only are they eco-friendly, but they last up to 1,000 loads!
- Microplastics are tiny particles of plastic that can be found in many personal care, laundry, and household products. They are very difficult to remove from the environment and can pose serious health risks if ingested. To help reduce their presence in the water supply, opt for natural laundry products with non-toxic ingredients, and avoid using items that contain microplastics like single-use scrubbers and laundry beads.
- Dryer sheets can be an important part of your laundry routine, but conventional versions often contain chemicals and fragrances that can irritate your skin. Instead, opt for dryer sheets made from natural materials like bamboo or cotton, which are free from toxins and have a softer touch. Natural fabric softeners also help reduce static cling, keep clothes looking new, and even add a pleasant scent.
Join us in part 2, where Dr. V shares her best tips for how to eat clean in Del Mar. With our guide of delicious recipes, you’ll be able to make healthy eating a breeze. In the meantime, if you want to experience the amazing health benefits it offers, be sure to book your next session. We look forward to helping you on your journey toward optimal health!